Friday 22 April 2011

Moustache Cakes A-Go-Go!

Camilla ordered 12 cakes with moustaches on for her friend's hen do!

The complicating factor was that she needed to have them delivered to her in Manchester on Wednesday evening, but would be serving them in London on Friday evening - with a detour to Norwich on the way!

I made 12 chocolate Guinness cakes with a raspberry inside each one, trying to go for maximum moistness - if they started out really moist, then they would have a chance of not being quite bone dry by Friday tea time.

We decided to top the cakes with raspberry buttercream to make sure the pink colour gave the cakes a bit of femininity too. And I matched the cake cases with the chocolate brown moustache shapes.

I guess they survived ok, because the feedback I got was:

"They tasted amazzzzing! Omg better than I could ever imagine- there were lots of happy hens definitely! (butter icing slightly melty after 8 hours on a sweaty train, but no-one noticed!) thanks so much xxxx"

:-{D


I made the chocolate Guinness cakes, as they are the moistest recipe I have, and they would have to survive at least 2 days from baking to eating. I put a fresh raspberry inside each one, in the hope of making them even more moist and juicy!


The moustache toppers.
I had imagined making lots of different shapes in lots of different colours, but I thought that since the cakes had a long journey ahead of them, simplicity was key.
The dark brown colour matches the chocolate cakes and their cases, and the simple moustache shapes would (hopefully) travel well.


A rejected complicated moustache shape.


Cakes baked and iced. This is what they would look like until Camilla assembled them on Friday, so I wanted to make them as pretty as possible, even without their toppers.


A close-up of the raspberry buttercream.


Moustaches were packaged in layers.


Protected by greaseproof paper and kitchen towel layers.


And a bit of desiccant to make sure they didn't get soggy en route.


Ready for the journey.


The lovely Camilla modeling the lovely finished product.

:-{D

No comments:

Post a Comment