Sunday 3 April 2011

"You're in Bowser's world now!"

Linda ordered 12 Super Mario themed cakes for her boyfriend's birthday. She specified the characters Bowser and Donkey Kong too, so -not being a gamer- I went off and tried to find some images of those characters that I felt I could reproduce in fondant icing!

Chocolate cakes with chocolate buttercream, and fondant icing designs with edible inks.


12 assorted Super Mario characters.


Star.


Donkey Kong research images.
The picture on the right is what I think he looks like now (I'm no gamer), but the image on the left (I think it might be a cross-stitch pattern!), is much easier for me to reproduce in icing.


This was my first attempt at Donkey Kong, but I felt he was too lumpy.
I know you can't really see the pixels any more on computer game animation, but I kind of wanted to use the pixelated look...


Second, final, Donkey Kong design, complete with tie (it looks a bit like his tongue is sticking out from this angle though).


A better angle to show his red tie.


Bowser research images.
Again, I tried to combine the simple image (this one's made from Hama beads, I think!), with the more up-to-date picture of him.


The final Bowser face. I really like it that he's all pixelated and square too, so he matches Donkey Kong.


Side view.


3 little stars, for no other reason than I think it's a sweet picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment