Saturday 13 November 2010

Freya's 'Under The Sea' Cakes


Vanilla cakes with vanilla buttercream: I thought any other flavour dyed blue would be odd.


I put mid-blue, light blue/green and plain white buttercreams together in the same piping bag, and piped them out to give a multi-coloured effect.

The problem I have is that often I'm using new (to me) techniques as I'm fulfilling an order, it's always a bit nail biting* to be doing some new style of icing on the cakes that are actually going out to the customer. I was really happy with the colours and effect here though.

*Not literally- that would contravene my food hygiene training!


Freya's name and age spelled out on seashells, each with an edible 'pearl' sugar dragee.


Goldfish with gold dragee bubbles.


Blub.


Crazy-eyed starfish. The buttercream is also decorated with clear and blue edible glitter.




Pretty sure this is a scallop shell shape, which I think means it wouldn't make a pearl, but sometimes artistic licence wins over zoological accuracy!





Olga ordered 12 sea life cakes for her daughter Freya's 2nd birthday.

I really enjoyed making these cakes, especially as I finally got to use the dolphin cutter that I bought a while ago. The shell and starfish cutters are new additions bought for this commission, but I'm always happy to feed my cookie cutter habit!

Olga had also very sweetly said that she liked my photography, so I supplied her with a CD of these photos, as well as the cakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment